A Wonderful, Awful Idea...

          Hey guys!  Karl here, giving you an overall summary of my days in Egypt.  Today, I decided to play it safe and stay indoors for the majority of the day.  I didn't want to put myself in potential danger, so I decided to research Egypt's currently overthrown government and what the United States had done in response.  I recalled back in my International Studies class, back in Mercer Island High School, that Ms. Kattar gave us definitions of words.  I believe the word "coup d'etat" was one of them.  A coup d'etat means: a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.  This can also come from the army itself.  To my surprise, I found out that the U.S. did not consider the overthrow of the Egyptian government an act of a coup d'etat.  In fact, the U.S. government supported the previous government because not only was it a democratic country, it was also an ally to the United States. As a result, the U.S. decided to cut their military aid to Egypt.

Egyptians that are for the Coup
          In my opinion, the U.S.' decision to cut military aid to Egypt might have been a bad idea.  I say this because this could potentially end a peaceful relationship between Egypt and the U.S.  Although I'm just speculating at this point, it is worth considering of what the new leader of Egypt would do.  U.S. president, Barack Obama, said, "I don’t think we would consider them an ally, but we don’t consider them an enemy."

Egyptians that are against the Coup
           Because of this news, I was baffled on what the future may hold for Egypt.  For now, I can only base my opinions from the news articles I read.  Due to the military aid cut, Egypt may have a hard time defending itself from terrorist attacks from other Middle Eastern countries.  For now, the civilians of Egypt can only await the unknown future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment